INTERNSHIP TITLE: Pastoral Counseling Intern
REQUIRED CREDENTIAL(S): CTC
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, Pastoral Care Director
CLASSIFICATION: Unpaid Internship
HOURS: Minimum 10 hours per week; 12-week commitment required.
An internship at Revive Wellness Group is an opportunity to learn about the specifics of working within a faith-based/pastoral counseling mental health and wellness practice, as well as grow and hone your own skills. This internship opportunity is best suited for an individual who is completing a college-level Pastoral or Christian Counseling degree program and will be using this experience as a learning tool ands spring-board for their own counseling practice and/or ministry.
The Pastoral Counseling Intern will have the opportunity to gain real-world experience and learn in a real, working environment by completing the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Learn and understand proper HIPAA-required, and industry-standard record-keeping procedures by assisting with scanning and filing clinical records in the practice’s Electronic Health Record System.
- Learn appropriate customer- and client-service skills, including how to manage client calls by answering phones, taking messages, and transferring calls as necessary.
- Learn how to make decisions based upon client’s needs and available clinician specialties by scheduling appointments for clients.
- Understand and gain real-world counseling experience by observing actual client appointments in-person or online.
- Gain understanding of Revive Wellness’ mission and vision of making the client experience as effective, comfortable, and welcoming as possible by assisting with keeping work spaces clean, with tasks such as vacuuming, taking out the trash, etc.
- Meet regularly with the Executive Director, Pastoral Care Director, and/or Clinical Director to discuss progress throughout internship, skills acquired, and educational and career goals.
- *After an appropriate training period has passed, the Pastoral Counseling Intern may have the opportunity to provide a limited number of one-on-one counseling sessions under the supervision of the Pastoral Care Director, assuming they hold the proper credentials.
The schedule in which the intern serves is determined in collaboration with the individual selected for the position, and the needs of the practice. It is assumed the intern will have other employment and/or school responsibilities outside of their internship. As such, the working schedule can be flexible around their other responsibilities, so long as the schedule remains relatively consistent. Weekends and/or evenings may be required.
The Pastoral Counseling Intern is required to serve a minimum of ten (10) hours per week, and agree to a 90-day commitment. Additional hours are available for the intern if he or she wishes.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- A High School Diploma or GED
- Completing on Phase I of a Christian Counseling Program at a Certified Academic Institution of the National Christian Counselors Association.
- Member of the Sarasota Academy of Christian Counseling.
- Certified Temperament Counselor designation from the NCCA.
- No Current or Active client of Revive Wellness may serve in an intern role. This is because we want you to focus on your own healing. You can always come back later to serve. Additionally, ethics laws prevent us from forming what’s called a “dual relationship” with our clients.
- At least six months must have passed since a former client’s last appointment before they are eligible to participate in an internship.
- You must sign a confidentiality statement and understand the information you handle at Revive Wellness is considered Sensitive/Protected information.